How to Make the Popular Beetroot Recipe
Beetroot, a root vegetable, is a debatable food. Either it’s hugely liked by some, or even seeing it makes others sick. Both are extremes, and there seems to be no middle way to approach beetroot. Although it may not be suitable for some people, the health benefits of the tuber cannot be ignored. Rich in essential nutrients, beetroot is a great source of fiber, folate (vitamin B9), manganese, potassium, iron, and vitamin C. Beetroot has many health benefits, including improving blood flow, lowering blood pressure, and increasing exercise performance.
Beetroot can be turned into some tasty and savory dishes if you so choose. A good beetroot dish can serve the dual purpose of satisfying the taste buds and providing adequate nutrition. These dishes are sure to change your attitude and perception of beetroot, which has been recognized as a superfood. Here are some beetroot recipes you must try!
Beetroot and Goat Cheese Citrus Salad
- Place 6 thinly sliced beetroots, 2 peeled and diced oranges, and 1 peeled and diced grapefruit in a large bowl. Add 4 tbsp. Apple cider vinegar, 2 tbsp. Caster sugar and some seasonings, mix well.
- Make the dressing: Combine the juice of 1 orange, 1/2 grapefruit, and 1 tbsp. mustard, 1 tbsp. Honey, some seasoning and 50ml. olive oil.
- Break down 250 grams. In another bowl, cook the quinoa and drizzle with a little olive oil to taste. Add 100 g. lettuce leaves.
- Heat a small non-stick frying pan over medium heat and toast 50 grams. Cashews and 50 g. Mix the seeds for 1 minute, then add 1 Tbsp. soy sauce, 2 tbsp. honey and a little oil, and soak for a few more minutes until sticky. set aside.
- To assemble, mix the pickled beets and fruit into the vegetables. Discard the dressing. Pour onto a plate and top with 200g sticky nuts. Slice the goat cheese and garnish with mint leaves.
- Wash and chop 1 kg of beetroot and rub with 1 tbsp each. vegetable oil, then wrap individually in foil. Bake in the oven at 200C/180C on a baking sheet for 1 hour or until tender. Cool, peel, and cut into wedges.
- Make sauerkraut vinegar, put 1 tablespoon. Peppercorns, 1 tbsp. Coriander Seeds, 1 Tbsp. mustard seeds, 10 cloves, in a medium saucepan. Roast over low heat until they start to smell fragrant. Add a little dried chilli flakes. Add 2 bay leaves, pour in 700ml white wine vinegar and 100g. brown sugar, let it dissolve, and bring to a simmer.
- Pack the beets into a sterilized jar and add 1 tsp. sea salt, then pour over the hot vinegar and seal. Your pickled beetroot will be ready to eat within 2 weeks.
Beetroot Dip with Yogurt and Lime
- Cut 150 grams. Cooked beetroot (wrapped in foil and baked in the oven at 180C for 1 hour) cubed and placed in a small food processor with 1 crushed garlic clove, 3 chopped shallots, 3 tbsp. Greek yogurt and 2 tsp. lime juice. Season well, then blend until smooth.
Spiced Beetroot and Orange Chutney
- In a large saucepan, combine 1.5 kg peeled and diced beetroot, 3 juiced oranges and some 2 tbsp orange zest. Mustard Seeds, 1 Tbsp. Coriander Seeds, 1 Tbsp. Clove Powder, 1 Tbsp. Ground Cinnamon, 700ml. Red wine vinegar and 700g. brown sugar.
- Simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally, until the chutney has thickened and the beets are tender
- Rinse, peel and chop 4 medium beetroots.
- Heat a pan and add 1 teaspoon of oil. Then add grated beetroot.
- Fry the beets for 5 to 6 minutes over low heat, until the water is gone. They will be partially cooked and also look dry.
- Now add 1 to 2 green chillies (chopped), 1 teaspoon of amchur powder or dried pomegranate powder, ½ teaspoon of Indian curry powder and salt as required. Mixed well. Turn off the flame.
- Stuff the mixture into the kneaded whole wheat dough, just like other paratha, and cook it on the tava. Your beetroot paratha is ready.